Pumpkin Study part 2
We finally got around to finishing our pumpkin study. I laid out our items starting with a mat to work on. The mat was just a cheap plastic shelf liner.
We started out by reviewing the outside of our pumpkins using our previous journal page. Then I had D estimate how many seeds he thought would be in his small pumpkin. His guess was 20. Then we proceeded to cut the top off the pumpkin.
He was not expecting it to look the way it did. We then scooped out the insides which is not as easy as I thought. At least for us it wasn’t.
D practiced counting by 2 as we counted the seeds. Remember, he guessed it would have 20. It actually had over 200! We recorded this on his journal after his estimate. Even I was not expecting that many.
We grouped them into 50 then practiced adding various amounts starting with 50+50. After that we decided to carve the pumpkin. He wanted spooky but not scary. This is what we got.
Here is his journal page finished with his drawing of the inside pumpkin and his estimate.
We put the pumpkin inside the house right by a window. We lit and then turned off all lights and viewed it from outside. Spooky indeed.